Role models of greatness.

Here you will discover the back stories of kings, titans of industry, stellar athletes, giants of the entertainment field, scientists, politicians, artists and heroes – all of them gay or bisexual men. If their lives can serve as role models to young men who have been bullied or taught to think less of themselves for their sexual orientation, all the better. The sexual orientation of those featured here did not stand in the way of their achievements.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Johnny Mathis

Openly gay singer Johnny Mathis was a star athlete at George Washington High School in San Francisco. He was a high jumper and hurdler, and played on the basketball team, earning four athletic letters. In 1954, he enrolled at San Francisco State University on a scholarship, intending to become an English and physical education teacher. That year he broke the college high jump record by successfully clearing 6-ft. 5-inches; at the time only four Olympic athletes had managed to jump that height. But Mathis had other talents, as well.

His father had worked in vaudeville, and when he recognized his son's dancing and singing abilities, he bought an old upright piano for $25 and encouraged his efforts. Mathis began learning songs and routines from his father, such as the popular song "My Blue Heaven." Mathis soon began singing and dancing for visitors at home, school and for church functions. When Mathis was thirteen, Connie Cox, a voice teacher, accepted him as her student in exchange for his work around her house. He studied with her for six years, learning vocal scales and exercises, voice production, classical and operatic skills. Mathis is one of the few popular singers who received years of professional voice training that included opera.

In 1955, Mathis landed a job singing weekends at Ann Dee's 440 Club. Jazz producer George Avakian came to hear him sing, and subsequently sent a telegram to Columbia Records noting: “Have found phenomenal 19-year old boy who could go all the way. Send blank contracts.”

At San Francisco State, Mathis had gained fame as a high jumper, and in early 1956 he had been asked to attend the trials for the 1956 Olympic teams that would travel to Melbourne, Australia that summer. Mathis had to decide whether to go to the Olympic tryouts or to keep an appointment in New York to make his first recordings, which were subsequently released in 1956. With his father's blessings, Mathis opted for a recording career. To date Johnny Mathis has sold 350 million records worldwide, most of them romantic ballads delivered with a somewhat breathy, tremulous tenor voice. His extraordinary singing career has spanned 55 years.

His career took off immediately, and by 1958 he had already released a “Greatest Hits” album, the first ever of that genre. He was one of the first African-American pop singers to gain wide acceptance with white audiences in America.

In the mid 1960s Mathis purchased a mansion in the Hollywood Hills that was originally built by billionaire Howard Hughes in 1946. Later owned by hotel owner Hyatt R. Von Dehn and oilman Robert Calhoun, that house is where Mathis still maintains his residence.

The 1981 release of his 25th Anniversary Album, a double LP, spent an unprecedented 491 consecutive weeks – nine and a half years – on the Billboard top 100 album charts, earning him a place in the Guinness Book of World Records . He has had five of his albums on the Billboard charts simultaneously, an achievement equaled by only Frank Sinatra and Barry Manilow. Mathis is the 3rd most successful recording artist in the USA.

In a 1982 Us Magazine article, Mathis was quoted as saying, "Homosexuality is a way of life that I've grown accustomed to." Mathis later revealed in a 2006 interview that he received death threats as a result of that 1982 article. In the early 1990s, a group of gay rights activists were planning to “out” Johnny Mathis, when they discovered that he had already revealed his homosexuality in that 1982 Us Magazine article.

Mathis continues to record and performs live today, at the age of 76. His most recent album is Let It Be Me: Mathis in Nashville, released 14 months ago.


In this video, out gay saxophonist Dave Koz tells the story of the ballad, The Shadow of Your Smile, from the 1965 film The Sandpiper, starring Elizabeth Taylor. Then he and Mathis perform a duet version, which appeared on At the Movies, a huge hit album for Koz in 2007. The voice of Johnny Mathis is in amazingly good form, considering that he is nearly 30 years older than Koz, now 48. Listen for trumpeter Chris Botti, who performs in the background, without appearing in the video. Update: Dave Koz today earned his seventh Grammy nomination  in the category of Best Pop Instrumental Album for his album Hello Tomorrow.

31 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!! Nothing else to say - just WOW!!!! That is what a great voice is supposed to sound like!!! And he has been doing it for over 50 years!!!! WOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your blogger:
      God willing, Mr. Mathis will turn 85 next month on Sept. 30, 2020.

      Delete
  2. Johnny Mathis is the quintessential
    ballad singer.
    His range and depth of breathing,
    obviously operatic skills, are without
    peer, amongst a back drop of pure
    artistic conviction,
    when Mathis sings...we are ALL
    taken in, completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in my teens, I had a major crush on Johnny Mathis. I thought he were so handsome and sang so beautifully. I came across this video of Dave Koz (who I also love) and Mr. Mathis and it brought me to tears. I love the saxaphone and I still love the voice of Johnny Mathis. What a perfect blend...Wow!!!

    PS...I still have the autographed picture of Johnny Mathis, that I wrote to his fan club for many years ago and even though people say it's wasn't really signed by him, I don't care...I still take it out to look at it every once in awhile and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe he is 76. He doesn't look a day over 60. I would like to know what he is doing to retain his youthful appearance and sound. His posture and gate is that of a much, much younger man. He seems to have discovered the fountain of youth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always has been and always will be my favorite singer of love songs that touch my heart and soul and bring back memories of my teen loves as we danced and kissed to Johnny Mathis albums. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday evening, I saw Mr. Mathis in concert. He was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last evening, I saw Mr. Mathis perform. He was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesterday I went to Johnny Mathis' concert at NJPAC - words cannot describe how "wonderful, wonderful" he sounded and looked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazingly beautiful!!!Gave me chills!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am 74 years old I fell in love with Johnny's voice, when I was a teen, I still love him today, got a lot of his music.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love everything about this man...he's amazing...going to see him on 7/16/15 with the Pgh Symphony...can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love johnny Mathis this video was amazing dave koz was fantastic the two together was unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exquisite - just found this - now at the top of my music collection

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's enough talent on that stage to light up a substantial section of any solar system. Music.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mathis is a beautiful vocalist. Will always be a member of my 20 vocalists.
    High jump record? Amazing.Chose to sing instead...thank God.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Johnny was, is, and always will be...incomparable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story and ride. Thank you Johnny!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If I had to describe Johnny Mathis in just three words, it would be 1) Classy 2) Phenomenal 3) Irreplaceable. As a small kid, I grew up hearing him, as my mom had all his albums and loved him. No one could ever have a voice close to his. It's perfect. Smooth as silk, sweet as honey. And who else could even come near him with Christmas music?? I am now 61, and am amazed that Mr. Mathis is still doing what he loves and sounds the same and looks so good! God bless him! He truly is a National Treasure!!! It will be a sad, sad day for America when he goes. Every time an icon like him leaves this earth, they take pieces of our lives with them, while having left so much of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think he looks his age now (81), and his shows have deteriorated because he can't sing the money songs any longer. His voice is still good, no denying that, but he's lost his high notes. He's sort of become a cartoon character of his younger self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's rather unfair, I think. He's only lost a few high notes. His breath control and intonation are perfect, just impeccable. His voice, at 82, is better than any other male voice I can think of, young or not so young. The Justin Biebers of this world will eventually fade into oblivion, but Johnny Mathis is a large piece of American music history. He is, and always will be, the one and only "Voice of Romance."

      Delete
  20. johnny has tailored his show to suit his voice as it is now. None of us at 81 will do things as well as we did them in our younger days. I haven't seen him live in the uk for 2 years, but high notes or not I would go & see him, remember the memories & friends I have made through my love of "Mathis Magic"

    ReplyDelete
  21. Singer John Royce Mathis is quite simply...The Best!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the greatest voices god created

      Delete
  22. As a teen in the 60's, I've listsen to his greatest hits album in the bastment of my house. There was and is no singer like Johnny Mathis. I was sadden to hear his home which in lived in for over 50 years burned down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't burn down. There was heavy smoke damage. His furniture, clothes, etc., were ruined, but most of his awards were covered by firefighters and saved. The house has been restored.

      Delete
  23. At79 years of age, I will attend my first Mathis concert in Pittsburgh in July. Even if he is not able to sing the high notes, I will have the satisfaction of honoring and respecting my favorite singer with my presence. How I wish that I had been able to see him in his prime.

    ReplyDelete
  24. His being gives me peace and I picked up a great voice lesson every time I watch and listen to him. I will think of his presence every time I get stage fright before I sing. Better and more inspiring than Ativan!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wonderful guy he has class like no other and other gay men could take lessons from him

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes, Johnny is a wonderful guy and he is a class act. I also know some straight men who could take lessons from Johnny.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just watched Johnny Mathis on Home and Family today 12/10/18, God has been good to this wonderful singer, he certainly did not look his age. Still love to hear him sing.

    ReplyDelete